Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Death Of A Good Friend

My heart is sad today because we lost a dear friend.  I was not aware of it until I heard Breck sobbing in the living room.  I rushed in and took one look out our window.  And then I knew.  Our beautiful dogwood tree had been toppled by the strong storm winds.  And then I was the one crying.



We live in a small subdivision in a small house with a small yard.  This dogwood tree was our treasure.  We loved it.  The birds loved it.  The kids played on it. We enjoyed her shade on hot summer days and spent many hours sitting underneath her beautiful boughs reading books together.

Alas!  She is no more.  Our yard will seem quite barren now that she's gone. 


Goodbye, Old Friend.

The kids finally stopped their crying and then decided the tree was more fun laying down then it was standing anyway!  Only its not so good for curb-appeal.



5 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh, Chick, I'm so sorry about the death of your beloved tree. We also have a pear tree in our front yard and I would be very sad to lose it (actually, losing any of my trees would be nigh unto devastating.)

On the plus side, trees are on great sales right now and it's the perfect time to plant!

Rowana said...

I have since found out that pear trees and dogwoods have to have the inner branches pruned out because they become so dense and top-heavy. That allows the wind to blow through the tree. Leland had trimmed our tree many times but never up inside the tree.

Carrie said...

Yes, actually when we bought our pear tree the guy helped us pick out the specific name of pear tree that was more durable and didn't grow so top-heavy.

He told us to stay away from the Bradfords (which are the most economical and prettiest, in my opinion) and unfortunately, those are the most popular trees to be planted in subdivisions.

Leah said...

That was a pretty tree... too bad. Glad it didn't damage anything else when it fell. That wind was CRAZY yesterday!!!

Jeanne said...

Oh, that's sad. We cried when the town council who had purchased the lot next door removed the 100 year old Peppercorn Tree that covered half our back yard - and it wasn't even our tree.

I can see why you're upset.